Sunday 6 October 2013

Father Ted - The search for Craggy Island

It was an epic show and now most common Irish gags use a punchline or two in normal everyday conversation. If you have not seen the show, you will have no idea what the joke is about!

Of course I'm talking about Father Ted, 3 priests - Fr. Dougal, Fr. Jack and Fr. Ted who live in Craggy Island all served tea by Mrs. Doyle, their persuasive housekeeper. Watching the show when I was younger, I always thought there was an actual Craggy Island, but to my dismay there isn't!

There is however, the famous Father Teds House which is located in the green fields of Co. Clare. During my visit to the county this year, it was a must see on my bucket list. A Google maps link to Father Teds house is provided at the end of this post.

Father Teds House, Co. Clare
The house is known as 'Glanquin House' and belongs to the McCormack family for the past 30 years. You can have tea inside Father Teds house, but you have to pre-book this. As we were just passing by, a photo of the house from the outside had to suffice.

To my surprise there were several cars outside the house during our visit. The road along the house is a single car country road, so there is not really parking there! It was great to see and brought back memories of the show.


Follow us on Twitter:

Like us on Facebook:

No comments:

Post a Comment